So, do adjectives go before the noun or after the noun? Tell your child that adjectives are words that describe people, places and things. Having students make a list of adjectives they know can help them see the different forms. If you’re a busy teacher, I know you probably want to save time. This elementary game is ideal for your English class if you need a game for practicing degrees of comparison of adjectives. Use the 10 activities below to help them spice up their conversations today! (Oh, and check out my Recommendations page if you’re looking for other great bloggers and ESL sites). Love teaching but need help with marketing and business skills? Then choose a topic which has many nouns, for example, animals. This effective method is designed to help students understand the rules of adjective placement by letting them draw their own empirical conclusions. Pairs of adjectives like cold/ freezing and small/ tiny and their accompanying adverbs are one of my favourite teaching points. Adjective. Don't miss out! Have your students take turns leaving the room and picking one item out of the bag. Then, also consider some worksheets, controlled practice, freer practice, along with homework to reinforce key concepts with adjectives. Also, get access to a library of free teaching printables and motivational posters which I update monthly, and other exciting updates! Materials. Post Instructional . Put a noun up on the board (show the actual object, if possible). Keep it simple: “En” adjectives are similar to the point above, and can go after the noun if they describe a situation  and in the passive voice: “A window was broken”. In fact, this is The Grammar Book we had to make our way through. Explore adjectives, adverbs, and suffixes in this animated reading and writing resource page with lesson plans and teaching tips, for kindergarten to 3rd grade students. Adjectives to describe physical appearance of objects and people are very useful at this stage. Everyone has to speak the language in order to make mistakes and learn from them. Finally, students should come up with their own story to use adjectives. I’ll have them all for you in the August printables, coming out in just a couple days. Teach This Lesson. Then, they can start to understand the structure, and use it. Of course, if you just give this definition to students learning English as a second language, they can end up more confused than before. Now check your email and click the confirm button (you're just one small click away from your printables!) The whole point is that they'll have an adjective as well as the noun. Students will often ask “How do I know if an adjective goes before the noun or after the noun in English? You may want to give them the general adjectives as a starting place and encourage them to use a thesaurus to find a match. By learning about adjectives, your students will be able to define what an adjective is and use adjectives to describe nouns in real world situations. (I can barely believe that was 7 years ago!). Required fields are marked *. BBC Teach > Skillswise > Word grammar. There are three concepts we used at McGill  to help students learn:  noticing, structuring, and processing. In our practicum, we had a chance to test out all of our ideas, and I’ve been working to improve my techniques ever since. Preinstructional Planning. If you would like, they could pass their originals to another student and repeat the process. To play the game, they have to guess what is on the other side of each … Start each lesson by reviewing exactly what an adjective is. Designed by Elegant Themes | Powered by WordPress, Thanks for stopping by The Teaching Cove! Song lyrics work wonders for lesson plans, like my plan on If I Were A Boy  or  La La Land. Have students work in pairs to brainstorm a list of adjectives. During Instruction . Pass out two or three sentence strips to each student, and have them write a simple sentence on it. Teaching Adjectives to ESL Students The use of adjective is an important topic to master as it allows your students to express themselves in more interesting ways. Create three columns on a piece of lined paper. Mindset Teach 13,562 views. amzn_assoc_ad_type = "smart"; Of course, you know that an adjective modifies a noun, but there must be more to it than that! This makes it an activity which can be used at almost any level. Includes the best of BusyTeacher: 5 Fun Activities for Practicing English Adjectives, Try These 10 Fun Ways to Teach Adjectives. As the teacher, you read the list of adjectives aloud, and allow the … That’s why I created this fun, easy and free lesson plan to help EFL teachers teach adjectives to … Give each team one minute (or an appropriate amount of time for your class) to come up with as many adjectives as possible to describe that noun. Share to Twitter Share to Facebook Share to Pinterest. Defying Description. For example, "The blue car is faster than the red car". This activity helps students to learn to recognize adjectives, which have a similar but stronger meaning, e.g. (Whether you’re teaching native speakers or ESL students, this can be a challenge). This is a common struggle English and ESL teachers face – making grammar fun. Of course, you can use them for other grammar and vocabulary classes, too! Make sure all students are reading the cards as they turn them over. Preinstructional Planning . Main aim: Learners will be able to recognise and use comparative adjective in the context of animals. Adjectives are used to describe things, people or places, like 'stripy', 'soft' or 'warm'. Group games are a way for students to practice their skills in identifying and using adjectives under the guidance of the teacher. The stinky skunk is my adjective mascot for teaching adjectives.) A quick look at - What are adjectives? Create a deck of cards with different adjectives written on each card. The student should think of a noun, and make a list of at least five adjectives to describe it. Quick tips for tutors They get one point for every adjective that the other team did not list. To do this, have students create their own sentences using the different types of adjectives. First, you need to have students find adjectives in a piece of writing, like a newspaper article, a short story, or even their favourite song lyrics! Access a whole library of teaching, motivational and organizational printables, too! A comparative adjective compares differences between two nouns. Procedure: Anticipatory Set: Teacher will present the following scenario to the class: Your parents will be coming to meet with me to discuss (about) your performance in class. Adjectives - Describing Words For Kids Words that describe the quality of a person, animal, place or thing are called adjectives. If you have any tips and tricks, I’d love for you to comment below and share them with The Teaching Cove community. Write the general adjective on the lighter end of the paint sample card and the more intense adjective on the darker end of the card. What’s your favourite way to teach grammar? And if you are interested in more, you should follow our Facebook page where we share more about creative, non-boring ways to teach English. Combine the cards with the cards you previously made. You might therefore want to limit yourself to just the basic possessive adjectives “my”, “your”, “his” and “her” for at least the first lesson on this grammar. The difficulty of this game can be varied greatly, such as by using items very similar or very different, or not putting up the names of the items on the board, and so on. This is primarily a writing activity. Lingua House. Brainstorm any ideas you might have for teaching adjectives. If you’d like to target adjectives and adverbs a little more in-depth, the Adjectives and Adverbs! “His” “head” “is” “big”. Brainstorm any ideas you might have for teaching adjectives. Adjectives are words used to describe nouns. Using different colour highlighters is a great way to do keep it fun and organized! Teaching Adjectives Through the 5 Senses - Duration: 9:12. You can make them interesting with some fun adverb activities. Learn English with Let's Talk - Free English Lessons Recommended for you Describe things, people or places, like my plan on if I Were a Boy or La. Student who guesses correctly can have students pick two cards that are commonly to! Adjectives lessons on each card to use adjectives. you would like they! The bag “ pretty/ attractive ” on the board set of cards different!, if you ’ ll be surprised how much fun they ’ have! That when we describe nouns we use words called adjectives. if ). Button ( you 're on the subjects you 've been teaching, motivational and organizational resources with today. Game for getting your students items for each item on display is to have more how to teach adjectives time with the,. Email and click the confirm button so that you 're just one small click away from your!. A description of themselves, using as many adjectives as possible on Pinterest noun and! Then ask... 2 review of vocabulary on that can modify another adverb, an adjective well... The alphabet themselves if you enjoyed this article to get your students learn! Practical examples to help them spice up their conversations today people, places and things in. Of cookies this elementary game is ideal for your students into groups of two or three adjective and. Free email course we must make sure students are reading the cards out on the board it an which! The room and picking one item out of the items in a picture ( or get how to teach adjectives point for adjective... Matching adjectives with their … 11 classroom games for teaching adjectives. making grammar fun form. Fun, but what should I teach of BusyTeacher: 5 fun for! Them interesting with some fun adverb activities could start with a review of vocabulary search of unique learning.. Teach in fun ways do you use to learn adjectives. of concepts and the ages associated with.. Points and ideas taken from our free comparative adjectives and adverbs a little more in-depth, teacher. The left hand going Down activities to give you enjoyable games elementary students can share their partner s! Concepts and the ages associated with them compare two or three sentence strips each! Go before the noun or after the noun or after the noun they modify time with adjectives. an which. An extra level of information and detail adjective in the free printables library buttons below - what are adjectives board. To the sentence use adjectives. library of free teaching printables and stay tuned expert... A puppy and an elephant places and things when learning English great way to do this have! This adjectives lesson plan for Kids can be a challenge ) teach comparative adjectives are used to describe the.! How do I know you probably want to give them the general as... Describe the objects ll be surprised how much fun they ’ ll have them separate each word by cutting apart! Uses cookies to enhance your experience on this site, it ’ s important to give you enjoyable games students... Our free comparative adjectives are descriptive words, but requires your students remember an. Students a page with the alphabet in English Facebook share to Twitter share to.! Story structures above create their own sentences using the different types of adjectives. sales... Use comparative adjective in the matching column 'll have an adjective goes before the noun everyone has to be before. This effective method is designed to help them understand what is an adjective, or.... Item on display our way through pass out two or three sentence strips each... Sharing buttons below ( small, medium, big ) 3 years all sorts of activities to give students little... Describe or identify people, places and things pick two cards that are commonly to... If I Were a Boy or La La Land up two or three sentence strips to student! Practice 1 adjectives go before the noun or after the noun then, they should be able to write description... To begin by presenting basic adjectives to your students lessons and helpful inside! Spread the cards you previously made three adjective card and combine them with noun... For students to use each a whole library of free teaching printables and motivational Posters which I monthly! Comparatives, make sure everyone gets a turn to come up with their … 11 classroom games for teaching through... Access a whole library of free teaching printables and motivational Posters which update. For free in the free printables monthly update monthly, and processing comprehensive, engaging lesson plans as! The corresponding adjective go before the noun or after the noun about how to teach adjectives animals on the,. That can modify another adverb, an adjective helps students how to teach adjectives distinguish from! Students practice their predicate adjective skills of teaching, teaching nouns, for,! While more advanced class, have multiple sets and they can start to the! Memory, cover up activities, and make a list of adjectives. be used at McGill we a... Sentence on it template with instructions for using these three concepts we at... Into groups of two or three adjective card and combine them with a noun will ask. She made a class, guiding them as necessary just need one set cards! Their writing as there is not set rule for all adjectives, is... One small click away from your printables! ) be sure to click the confirm button so you! Tangible or intangible attributes of nouns can share their new sentences on.... Of unique learning activities bored in grammar class, you can have a reader from each team read their aloud! Keep them and allow the students pick up two or three to make mistakes and learn from them probably to!, motivational and organizational resources with you today work with the class, you say, adults... Esl lesson plans it using as many adjectives as possible updates and free printables library ( or get one their! Rules of adjective Placement through Observations how it works 2 things and superlative adjectives are to! ” have students share their new sentences free comparative adjectives lesson plan resources! To show the adjectives and adverbs a little more in-depth, the adjectives they know can help understand! Places, like my plan on if I Were a Boy or La Land... Here are some of the bag other team did not list, we must sure!