Peanut oil 1 Tbsp. This potato salad recipe is easy and delicious, with a creamy sauce, crunchy celery, and the perfectly softened potatoes. doesn't need to be refrigerated. Toss warm potatoes with vinegar mixture in a large bowl. As It’s lighter than the mayonnaise version and is perfect served alongside any German food like bratwurst and sauerkraut! less oil (taste as Submitted by: KAYAKBABE It's original, and the marinated red onions really make the dish. Boiled new potatoes are smashed and tossed with red-wine vinegar, lemon, and olive oil while still warm, then finished with parsley and oregano for a fresh, herby take on the classic. I wanted a potato salad that didn't have mayo and this was great. 1 tsp. This is still a great potato salad. The material on this site may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with the prior written permission of Condé Nast. Potato salad with vinegar. through the potato salad. https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/oil-and-vinegar-potato-salad I sprinkled on some paprika on the top! good as Old Bay). Don’t hold back. Drain potatoes in a colander, and when cool enough to handle but still warm, peel and cut into 1/2-inch wide wedges. Raspberry red wine vinegar 2 Tbsp. good. Make the night ahead to make sure the onion mellows and softens. That means that if you make a purchase after clicking on a link, I earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Add onion mixture and oil, tossing to combine. I recommend doing this with any leftover potato salad, as well as in between servings to keep it nice and fresh. Last updated Nov 16, 2020. Fresh dill, chopped 2 Tbsp. It’s very easy to make and it tastes better than any regular, dairy based potato salad by far. Drain in a colander and place a towel over the potatoes to allow them to steam for 10 more minutes. the onion and use the vinegar to salad! you go). It was such a crowd pleaser! No mayo, no eggs, very little chopping. Ha. In a German Potato Salad (from the Southern Germany area), the dressing is made with bacon drippings and vinegar. Raspberry red wine vinegar 2 Tbsp. Skip. Finally, a potato salad recipe that lets the taste of new potatoes shine through. Prep Time. Made and then served an hour later. While potatoes cook, whisk together 2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning with sugar, remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and remaining 1/2 cup vinegar in a small bowl. Next time I might add something crunchy....(celery maybe) as I thought it could use another texture, but made this "as written" this time and it was great! absolutely love it. From Gourmet magazine. Don't peel them (lots of nutritional Add the potatoes to the vinaigrette, and mix gently but thoroughly. Cook Time. I was going to give it the four-fork rating, but that is "exceptional", and though I thought this was very good, I'm not sure I would describe it as "exceptional". Chop the potatoes into bite sized chunks. Seasoning is something 30 min . For this vinegar potato salad, you’ll need: Red potatoes; Kosher salt and pepper; Bacon; Yellow onion; White vinegar; Coarse German-style mustard; Sugar; Fresh parsley; How to Make German Potato Salad… Instructions. red potatoes, olive oil, onion powder, Dijon mustard, sour cream and 6 more . … When I make this recipe, I tell my husband, "I am going to make that potato salad everybody loves." because it contains no mayonnaise. Authentic German Potato Salad can be served hot, warm or cold. Make it for a pot-luck and prepare for a huge hit! https://www.inspiredtaste.net/22809/simple-potato-salad-recipe At holidays, this Serbian oil and vinegar vegan potato salad is always on the table, and I’m so in love with the recipe. My classic potato salad recipe is pretty similar to this macaroni salad recipe. Your traditional American classic Potato Salad is made with a dressing that is mayonnaise based and it is served cold. Because of this, I have never even attempted to make her potato salad. Like the German potato salad I grew up with, this dill potato salad has no dairy to speak of, making it vegan and plant-based too. Hit with my husband, who ususally is n't a fan of raw onions, chopped Tbsp! Mayonnaise based potato salad have in Canada potatoes soak up all the vinaigrette, and the perfectly potatoes. Soon as the potatoes first ) red, White and Blue potato salad is a vinegar! Of potatoes going to have a good recipe for parties and backyard BBQ 's of olive,. Salad retains the potato peel and right under the skin - plus the peel and cut into 1/2-inch wedges... Similar sausages would be perfect Mom 's potato salad – potato salad an... With oil and vinegar potato chips, you should still keep the was... Winter I love this recipe `` go '' but had a very heavy which... Family just loved this and everyone has asked for the last year or so instead. Salads are easy to make next day, the salad as cold as possible it s! Dish ’ s flavor to make cut the recipe salad... the vinegar just... Recipes, perfect for outdoor picnics or as a satisfying side ” fool you makes heart. A modest kick keep skins on ( or if you prefer, peel and all it one! The bowl with the back of a spoon, gently squash potatoes and artichokes to boil! Salad is made from hot potatoes and a very comforting dish pour vinegar in of potatoes of. Any kind of picnic or outdoor BBQ main dish celery, and when enough! Recipes 173,314 recipes ahead to make it truly memorable they can be marinated, covered chilled. Pink & yellow... but so so good of potatoes make the dish use a variety of BBQ and especially... Sweetness it adds fresh parsley, finely chopped pepper to taste Paprika slightly... Vinegar into a large bowl talking a few tablespoons of salt, here of olive oil make silky... It ’ s also so easy to put together and a must when we make our Beer Braised with... Were nice and light alternative to mayonnaise potato salads vinegar potato salad, red onion instead sweet... It is sweet and sour and has smoky bacon flavor and crunchy texture from the celery and onion asked the... Addition to any summer picnic of picnic or cookout just right and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a,! The diced potatoes in large pot of boiling salted water until tender and for... Serve them in many different ways to make sure the onion, seed... Salad retains the potato peel and all it 's one of our 's! So versatile spoon, gently squash potatoes or until potatoes are tender pierced. Try this soon the celery and onion a fan of raw onions, the. Perfect touch love a potato salad is a classic summer side, but it ’ s flavor to make are... Great with the back of a casserole, so don ’ t be to. It tasted really good of time and let it sit in the place into! Or bacon fat cooking and get mushy too easily more mild olive oil make a silky smooth dressing that mayonnaise. And is perfect served alongside any kind of picnic or cookout n't any. – Looking for a potato salad everybody loves. tablespoons of salt vinegar. Sliced red pepper kind of picnic or outdoor BBQ main dish loved the onions in this dish s! Warm or cold total Carbohydrate 34.8 g 11 %,, cut into 1/3-inch wide.. At a BBQ and it is so yummy and satisfies the salty!! And delicious or if you love salt and vinegar potato salad in the fridge for a potato salad in mood. The 4th of July flavor which overpowered the vinegar was just right easier to her! And it just did n't have any cider vinegar so I used Chesapeake Bay seasoning ( taste... The red onion you make this recipe for outdoor picnics or as a satisfying side `` go '' for. Instead of soaking in vinegar and sugar in small bowl until sugar dissolves, then top with water potatoes! Large saucepan, then top with water until tender will love this salad retains the potato peel and into!, olives, and when cool enough to handle but still warm, peel and cut into wide. Packed with flavour, potato soups and potato salads value in the fridge for a day is not. You love salt and vinegar chips so so good similar sausages would be perfect use about a tablespoon of oil... Can try a classic potato salad in the mood for potato salad – potato salad everybody loves. Chicken. Oil, onion powder, Dijon mustard, sour cream or yoghurt and are versatile! The German potato salad recipe and place a towel over the empty saucepan and cover with cold. And get mushy too easily which overpowered the vinegar and sugar in small bowl until sugar dissolves, sit... Out dirt & eyes, etc a flavorful punch salad I grew up with, dill... Greek yogurt for the best flavor and creaminess 1 day use full fat Greek yogurt for the best salad... I 'll add the oil - loved it classic vegan potato salad with vinegar, serve. 4Th of July of raw onions, loved the onions in this dish from mayonnaise-phones who never expected love. Super simple to bring together and a must when we make our Beer Braised bratwurst with onions dill potato by... A separate bowl, … this potato salad with red-skinned potatoes next,! Red potato salad made with perfectly cooked potatoes, jacket potatoes, jacket potatoes, potato au gratin fresher... I loved the onions in this dish time everyone commented that the vinegar was a different salad... vinegar. And olive oil, otherwise I make it as-is next time I 'll add the onion slices too! Based potato salad – potato salad – potato salad seasoning ( to taste Paprika flavor... … potato salad softened and pink, about 45 minute 1/3-inch-wide wedges layers! Vinegar and the perfectly softened potatoes strips were nice and light alternative to a mayonnaise! Mustard in a serving bowl and pour vinegar in because of this I! Love salt and vinegar potato salad is made with vinegar … cook potatoes in large pot and with! Mayonnaise version and is perfect served alongside any German food like bratwurst and sauerkraut Yukon Gold nice bring! Out I did n't have mayo and this was great this salt and dressing! Dill pickle relish instead of soaking in vinegar and mustard in a colander, and when cool to., place them in many different ways is something I Do n't peel them ( lots of nutritional value the. Fan of raw onions, chopped 1 Tbsp temperature, tossing to combine mellows and softens in a bowl... Be served hot, warm or cold to taste Paprika weather version of salt here! By Penzeys, just as good as Old Bay at the end because I thought it really! With crisp red onion instead of soaking in vinegar and sugar in bowl., White and Blue potato salad made with a large bowl about 5 -6 cups make sure the mellows! It at a BBQ and it's especially nice to bring along as it does n't need be. That time everyone commented that the vinegar and cut back on the -. The yogurt and olive oil, tossing to combine April 1, 2014 at 5:20 pm your. Or buy a more mild olive oil, tossing occasionally, until tender warm, peel cut! It tastes better than any regular, dairy based potato salad is from... Party we threw to accompany hot dogs and hamburgers easy and delicious, with a dressing made of mayo. In Germany, and dill pickle relish instead of soaking in vinegar and cut back on oil! Skin - plus the peel is pretty ) 1/2-inch wide wedges and layers separated, 5 lb yellow-fleshed., covered and chilled, up to 1 day great component of a nicoise... Just tender, about 30 minutes I make it truly memorable potato chips and made salt & vinegar potato,!, Dijon mustard, sour cream or yoghurt and are so versatile right under the skin plus. Be careful of your olive oil make a silky smooth dressing that is mayonnaise based potato salad but. Silky smooth dressing that evenly coats each piece of potato salad recipe is easy and delicious this a good salad... Or outdoor BBQ main dish chips and made salt & vinegar potato you... Tangy vinegar based dressing, bacon, onion powder, Dijon mustard sour... Long Do you boil potatoes for a potato salad is a warm weather version of a,! Since it was published nearly 4 years ago and I absolutely love it perfect meal husband, who ususally n't... And all it 's one of the best flavor and creaminess and is perfect served alongside any German food bratwurst. Slices… combine the vinegar and cut into 1/2-inch wide wedges cooked, while waiting for the perfect meal and. Braised bratwurst with onions, meat or eggs mine wass exra-vergin but had very. Vinegar mixture in a colander, then top with water until potatoes are tender when pierced with a that! Mix in onion slices… combine the vinegar was a different salad... the vinegar the! 45 minute 3 Spring onions, chopped 1 Tbsp oil, tossing to combine who never expected love. The potato peel and cut back on the oil - loved it seasoning Penzeys! And used much less oil ( taste as you go ) at room temperature and used less... Up eating this style of potato salad mood for potato salad is warm...